The company targets SMBs and also offers Defender for Business as a $3/month service.
Microsoft Corp. announced the general availability of two new cybersecurity solutions for businesses: Microsoft Defender for Business, designed to improve the security of small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), and Microsoft Security Experts, which will provide advanced security expertise, helping large companies with specific technologies and guiding them to navigate new challenges, both solutions are available in Trinidad and Tobago.
In April 2022, Microsoft surveyed more than 150 small and medium-sized businesses in a quantitative online survey in the US to better understand the evolving security needs of SMBs. The survey found that more than 70% of SMBs think that cyber threats are becoming a business risk. That concern is well founded, with nearly one in four SMBs surveyed reporting experiencing a security breach in the last year.
As identified, despite facing similar risks to large enterprises, SMBs often lack access to the right tools and resources, such as specialized security personnel. Threats to large enterprises have also increased at an alarming rate over the past year, with cybercrime projected to cost the world $10.5 trillion annually by 2025. Due to this global risk scenario, Microsoft has reinforced its security offer, focused on improving the functioning of companies and securing their infrastructure, regardless of their size.
“Microsoft believes in security for everyone”, said Vasu Jakkal, CVP, security, compliance and identity at Microsoft. He commented that “every day it becomes more difficult for organizations to build and maintain a complete security team, let alone one with the ever-expanding skill set needed to meet today’s range of security demands.”
Jakkal also mentioned that “Microsoft is uniquely positioned to help our customers and their partners meet today’s security challenges. We protect devices, identities, applications, clouds, the fundamental fabric of our customers’ lives, with the full scale of our comprehensive multi-platform, multi-cloud solutions. Furthermore, we understand the current security challenges because we live this fight every day.”
Improving the security of SMBs in the world with Microsoft Defender for Business
With Defender for Business, SMBs get multi-layered protection, detection, and response, as well as the five stages of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) cybersecurity infrastructure: identify, protect, detect, respond, and recover, to protect yourself and resolve both known and unknown threats.
Defender for Business includes built-in policies so customers can get their business up and running quickly. The automated investigation and remediation capabilities in Defender for Business help automate the kind of work a security operations team does, namely continuously and automatically detecting and remediating multiple threats.
Defender for Business includes:
- Threat and vulnerability management it helps to prioritize and focus on the weaknesses that represent the most urgent and highest risk to the business.
- Reduced attack surface Options help minimize the attack surface, leaving bad actors with fewer ways to execute attacks.
- next generation protection helps prevent and protect against threats with antivirus and antimalware protection on devices and in the cloud.
- Endpoint detection and responseprovides behavior-based detection and response alerts so you can identify persistent threats and remove them from your environment.
- Self-investigation and remediationhelp scale security operations by examining alerts and taking immediate action to resolve customer attacks.
Defender for Business is included in Microsoft 365 Business Premium, the comprehensive security and productivity solution for businesses with up to 300 employees; it can also be purchased separately via subscription for US$3 per user, per month.
Building a more secure world with Microsoft security experts
Microsoft security experts combine expert-trained technology with human-delivered services to help organizations achieve more secure, compliant, and productive outcomes. Our vision is to offer a new category of services in security, compliance, identity, management and privacy. The first step is to offer new and expanded services for security.
With input from its partner ecosystem, Microsoft has designed three new managed services that can help scale a company’s team of experts to meet the needs of the organization:
- Microsoft Defender experts for the huntIt’s for customers who have a strong security operations center but want Microsoft to help them proactively search for threats across Microsoft Defender data, including endpoints, Office 365, cloud apps, and identity. They will also receive specific recommendations to help them understand and improve their security posture.
- Microsoft Defender Experts for XDRis a managed extended detection and response (XDR) service that extends beyond endpoints to provide detection and response in Microsoft 365 Defender, investigating alerts and using automation and human expertise to respond to incidents alongside any team. It helps users stay in control and reduce costs, excess noise, and manual processes. Defender Experts for XDR will go into preview in late 2022.
- Microsoft Security Services for Businessis for large enterprises looking for more comprehensive, high-touch managed services from Microsoft. This comprehensive, expert-led service combines proactive threat hunting and managed XDR, leveraging Microsoft’s comprehensive security information and event management (SIEM) and XDR stack to protect all cloud environments and all platforms. Microsoft Security Services for Enterprise is sold through a custom statement of work and is available today.